Nigerian Palace Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIVERPOOL UPDATES

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

LIVERPOOL UPDATES - Page 2 Empty LIVERPOOL UPDATES

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rodgers Considering Loan Deals

"There is nothing imminent just yet," said manager Brendan Rodgers of Liverpool's transfer dealings, "but hopefully things will progress over the next couple of days. It may take one or two moves to spark everything off. I want players in sooner rather than later, it is important to get the group together as quickly as possible, but if not we will just have to be patient.

"I have also looked at one or two loan deals from abroad," he admitted, despite it not being a route clubs aspiring to the top four in England often look to take. "There are some quality players in that market that I have inquired about. The make-up of the group will change before the season starts and that will change the dynamic of the team also."

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

My Club Support : LIVERPOOL UPDATES - Page 2 P1210

NPF Points : 250

Back to top Go down

LIVERPOOL UPDATES - Page 2 Empty Re: LIVERPOOL UPDATES

Post by feco1love Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Juventus turn to Liverpool after giving up on Robin van Persie"

Italian champions Juventus have rekindled their interest in Luis Suarez after being frustrated in their pursuit of primary target Robin Van Persie. The Turin club are thought to be keen on making sure that they land atleast one-big name striker this summer to beef up their wasteful attack.

The Old Lady are preparing for the defence of their Serie A title and for life in the Champions League, and were eyeing Robin Van Persie as their marquee summer signing. However, with the talismanic Dutch striker staying mum over his future, Juventus are looking at other prospects to make sure that they don’t end up without a new striker should RVP choose against joining them.

Meanwhile, Juventus’ pursuit of Suarez has gone on and off this summer. But now, the Mirror reports that the Italian giants are looking to go all in for the Uruguayan, who is not receiving the best of receptions in England. Although Suarez is a fan favourite at Anfield, his image outside of Liverpool has been tarnished after he was charged of having racially abused Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

And this hate for Suarez was visible in the Olympics recently, when the crowd jeered and booed the hitman when he took the pitch against Great Britain. Juventus look like an attractive option, having won the league last year without losing a single game. Also, he would have a chance to get a fresh start in a new country.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy inches closer to a move to Cardiff City

Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy is inching closer for a move to his home town club Cardiff City after ending his participation in London 2012 Olympics for Team GB.

The Welsh striker joined Liverpool in last summer for a free transfer and scored six goals in 27 appearances for the Reds. He was not assured more playing time this season which was thought to be the reason for his probable exit.

However, the club sources have insisted that the 33-year-old has personal problems and he wants to spend time close with his families.

The former Newcastle striker joined Cardiff on loan from Manchester City in 2010 and scored 11 goals in 35 appearances. Malky Mackay, the manager of Cardiff is looking forward to bolster his squad this season and he is hoping to create a dangerous strike partnership with Bellamy and new recruit Heidar Helguson.

QPR are also interested in getting his signature but Liverpool are not willing to sell the player to any Premier League side. Cardiff won’t be able to pay any upfront fee to Liverpool but they will offer him the reported wage fee of £70,000 per week.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Young Spanish ‘Estrella Roja’ Is Itching To Impress At LFC:

JESUS ‘Suso ’ Fernandez Saez started his career at the youth ranks of Spanish side Cadiz CF. Former Cadiz youth coach Quique Gonzalez described him as a player with exceptional crossing, passing and dribbling skills.

“He has great quality, a good shot – his vision is great and his passing is outstanding,” he said.

In 2008, at a tender age of 15, Suso joined Liverpool. As a youngster he looked at Cesc Fabregas and thought the English game could help in his development:
“I always liked the Barclays Premier League more than La Liga and I decided that it would be better for me to come here,” he said. He rejected offers from Real Madrid , Barcelona and Villarreal to complete his move to England.

After signing, Suso went straight back out to Cadiz on loan until he was old enough to gain a permit to complete the transfer and then came straight into the Liverpool under 18’s team. After only few months he impressed immediately with his composure and intelligence and earned himself promotion to the reserves. Although he prefers to play on the left wing, he was deployed in a new role to play on the right wing allowing him to cut in and use his natural left foot. It didn’t take much time for him to adapt to the new role, he even has the ability to track back and dictate terms by playing in the central midfield with his short and long passes.

Marking his 17th birthday on 19th November 2010 he signed his first professional contract for Liverpool. The midfielder is yet to make his official debut for Liverpool’s first team, though he did take part in Jamie Carragher ’s testimonial, as well as a pre-season friendly against Borussia Moenchengladbach in 2010.

Former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez , who persuaded him to come and join Liverpool, marked out Suso as one to watch in the future and recently revealed about his excitement over the Anfield starlet:

“Keep your eye on Suso, the Liverpool player who will now be playing for Spain Under-19s at their European Championship. I tell you, he has promise.”

Despite being relatively unknown in Spain prior to the European U-19 Championship, a series of brilliant performances ensured that the midfielder’s name is now everywhere. This tournament has definitely done a world of good for players like Suso to make a claim for more responsibility with their club and senior national teams. If he continues the same form then I would be least surprised to see him become part of new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers’ first team squad at some stage next season.
Strengths

Suso is a tricky winger who is inspiring excitement among Liverpool fans and coaches alike. He is blessed with great passing, crossing and dribbling skills. His eye for a pass and trickery has led to the comparisons with Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas.

The young Spaniard is arguably the most technically gifted player in Liverpool’s youth ranks. He has everything in his game; magical touch, incredible vision, passing range of Xabi Alonso and a shot like Steven Gerrard with both feet and a keen eye for goal. Suso has perhaps the sweetest left foot at the club’s Kirkby academy, and perhaps the best to come out of the youth ranks since Robbie Fowler.

Weakness

But, as many young Premier League hopefuls find, creative players often struggle to adapt to the English game if they don’t bulk up physically. Suso, like his Liverpool academy teammate Dani Pacheco , is slight in build – something that is a cause of concern for the Liverpool hierarchy.

“He needs to know about the discipline and work that’s required in a team, like tracking back, tackling and staying with runners,” admitted former Liverpool reserve team boss John McMahon.

Suso recognises the immediate differences between the Spanish and English styles: “The game here requires you to run a lot more. For that reason it is more difficult.”

But the old-school English philosophy is beginning to rub off on the young Spaniard. “I need to improve my intensity and my defending,” he said. “In few reserve games I’ve played in central midfield to help me do that. I know that I have to get better in that area.”

What Lies Ahead For Him

Suso hasn’t featured for the first-team yet, he however is the archetypal Rodgers player – who seemingly prefers ballplayers to destroyers in midfield – and at the very least he should get a chance to impress in few matches this season along with a selection of few reserve players. He seems the perfect fit for a place in the Liverpool midfield, and fans will be that hoping he eventually makes a similar sort of impact to the one that his compatriot Xabi Alonso made at Anfield.

Suso, along with Raheem Sterling , has been touted as one of the gems that has the potential to come out from the present crop of Liverpool academy graduates and go straight into the first team of Liverpool in the near future. It will be interesting to see what happens to Suso this season now that Liverpool have Brendan Rodgers as manager. Rodgers is known for his work with the youth and after seeing Suso’s progress, he looks excited to work with him.

“He’s a boy I’ve really heard a lot about in terms of his talent. Hopefully I find that working with him in terms of his mentality will be strong and if he does then he’ll have a chance,” said Rodgers.

Recently Suso also has expressed his desire to play for Liverpool first team this season, he certainly knows the fact that Rodgers is keen to work with youngsters, “I hope I get some minutes and a chance to show what I can do, I am really happy at the club and I want to stay”, he said.

There is no doubt about Suso’s flair and inventiveness. However, the young Spaniard faces a tough task to break into the first-team ranks at Anfield.

Weather Rodgers will use him in his Liverpool revolution or not it’s up to him, but in many ways Liverpool has struck gold at the right time when the first team is struggling for their offensive play. Let’s hope for Liverpool’s sake that Suso’s game doesn’t stall through limited opportunities to play in his preferred position. If Liverpool’s number 30 gets his chance on the wing, he looks set to be a star.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Rodgers eyes Barcelona youngster

The Daily Mirror suggests Liverpool have rekindled their interest in Barcelona winger, Cristian Tello. Rumours of a potential move away from the Catalan giants emerged after the 20 year old was not handed a squad number for the forthcoming campaign.

Tello spent two years in Barcelona’s B team before he broke onto the first team scene last season and despite some excellent performances under former coach Pep Guardiola, Tello is deemed surplus to requirements under Tito Villanova. Tello made 22 appearances last season, scoring seven times; including a double against Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League.

It was Kenny Dalglish who first identified Tello however Rodgers looks keen on the winger too, as he looks to revitalize Liverpool under his leadership. A loan move for the Spaniard has been touted with a permanent switch an option, should he impress at Anfield. His versatility along the frontline will offer Rodgers more alternatives and with Craig Bellamy and Andy Carroll heavily linked with exits, Tello would be the ideal solution amid his ability to perform as a striker or out wide.

Talks over extending a contract have stalled with La Blaugrana still considering him a B team member and with just 12 months left on his contract at the Spanish giants, Tello could cost as little as £7m.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Why Liverpool must hit the ground running:

The phrase, “must get off to a good start,” is as horribly tedious as it is immortal. Every season it seems to get dusted off as we evaluate a new manager’s chances, as if a mediocre or uninspiring start would be some form of viable alternative. Every time a manager walks into a new club, they’ve got to hit the ground running and start winning games. For Brendan Rodgers though, the phrase might hold a bit more prominence.

Liverpool enter the new season under a real paradox of expectation. The appointment of Brendan Rodgers is one that is supposed to exude longevity. The Ulsterman is a of the new breed of young manager and he brings with him a blueprint for the future alongside his roadmap for technical excellence. Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, seem to be doing everything in their power to emphasize this- it is said that Champions League football is not a direct necessity for next term.

But as much as FSG want to, quite rightly, quell expectation, there is a bubbling undercurrent of impatience. There is only so long that a club like Liverpool can stay in regression for, and since the dying moments of the Rafa Benitez era, the club has slipped further and further away from the summit of English football.

Whilst you could hardly describe the club as undergoing freefall, expectations have been dealt a ruthless reality check in recent years. Since Benitez guided his side to Premier League runners-up during the 2008-09 season, the club have kicked on my moving backwards. Finishes of 7th. 6th then 8th have succeeded since and Benitez, Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish have all been and gone during the same time frame.

But it’s not been the decline caused by drastic implosion or lack of investment, which is what makes it all the more frustrating. They’ve not invested petromillions, but Benitez was always backed, Hodgson was allowed to bring in his own men (enter, Paul Konchesky) and the new regime gave Dalglish as much help as they possibly could. Of course, the aforementioned change in ownership played it’s part. But after a pretty mediocre three years, the notion of being told to wait a little longer isn’t the most appealing of prospects.

Although Brendan Rodgers hasn’t been brought in for a slap dash season. He’s been brought in for the long haul, and supporters generally seem to have brought into him. He plays the brand of football that is hoped will drag Liverpool kicking and screaming back into the forefront of the modern game and he’s already made the right noises in and around the club. Rodgers speaks with drive and authority and he has a far more accessible feel than Kenny Dalglish. King Kenny will always be King Kenny, but his PR skills certainly didn’t help proceedings last term. Rodgers has brought genuine optimism back to Anfield.

Yet all the pre season posturing and column inches of adulation mean nothing when the season kicks off. Rodgers will be given plenty of time by both the fans and the board but ultimately, he has to start winning football matches.

When people start talking about embarking on a project at a football club, expectations and aims seem to fluctuate as and when the season goes on. Supporters understand that to get to the finished article, they have to endure the building process and results can often be unpredictable and sometimes volatile.

But the improvement needs to be there to see and progress will have to be made. Memories don’t last long in football and time is a commodity that few are afforded. Rodgers needs to get off the ground quickly, specifically by flying out the blocks in the Premier League. The fixture computer, however, hasn’t been particularly kind.

Their opening five fixtures are potentially as savage as they can get, or at least their three home games are anyway. Rodgers takes his Liverpool side to the Hawthorns on the opening day, where the somewhat unknown quantity of Steve Clarke’s West Brom await. And this represents the perfect acid test for supporters’ patience.

The aim will of course be, to beat West Brom. But more importantly, Liverpool simply cannot loose. Because in their next three home games, they play host to Manchester City, Arsenal and Manchester United respectively. Throw in a tricky away trip to Sunderland in between and you can understand why the Liverpool management are asking for patience.

But whilst fans will do everything they can to heed to their demands, Rodgers has to combine building his project for the future with winning over a set of fans that intrinsically behold high expectations.

He can have all the time in the world, but if Liverpool lose to City and Arsenal at home, he will be under huge pressure to get a result against Martin O’Neill’s side at the Stadium of Light. Why? Losing three on the bounce would set up an encounter with Sir Alex Ferguson’s men to try and stop the rot.

You can see why the stakes are high- the Anfield crowd would be loathe to see their fiercest rivals create a stink around the place come mid-September. But that’s exactly what it would create. Defeat would hurt and suddenly the rebuilding process will have to be undertaken without the probation period of time and patience.

Supporters should never go into a new season with pessimism and Liverpool fans will be loathe to see observers putting Rodgers under pressure before he’s even started. He could of course come out and stuff the opposition and any remaining doubters by putting the League Champions to the sword on the 26th. But however he does it, Rodgers needs to get his project winning games and soon. We’ll soon see just how patient Liverpool fans are.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:27 pm

£10m Dempsey Should Join Liverpool ….And Not Everton:

Everton are considering a bid for Clint Dempsey as they look to take advantage of Liverpool’s failure to agree a deal with Fulham.

There has been much speculation regarding the American’s future, with the Reds seemingly put off by £10 million being demanded by Fulham. Everton, whose transfer coffers have been boosted by the sale of Jack Rodwell, are reportedly looking to scupper Brendan Rodgers’ plans.

Twenty-three goals last season has also seen the likes of Tottenham and Roma express an interest in the forward, who has always seemed likely to join Liverpool.

Dempsey, who missed Fulham’s pre season training camp, is thought to be desperate to test himself on the Champions League stage. Who can blame him? Last season’s impressive displays proved he is more than capable of succeeding at that level.

The stadia either side of Stanley Park will be bereft of Champions League football next season though Liverpool are in the Europa League. While it may not meet Dempsey’s ambitions, you would expect Anfield to be his preferred option.

Last year was a disappointing campaign for the Reds, but should they buy into Rodgers’ philosophy, they are well placed to challenge for a Champions League spot. Everton, quite possibly have what is the strongest squad of David Moyes’ tenure. Interestingly, signing Dempsey would be a signal of their ambitions and would see them better placed to compete for European football.

But, as last season’s semi final defeat showed, Everton perhaps have the experience to produce when it really matters. They are a work in progress and at 29, Dempsey is probably right in thinking that Liverpool in the short term are better placed to give him what he wants.

While Everton finished above their rivals last season, Dempsey is after a big move and you would expect him to see Liverpool as a greater step up than the Blues, who in recent seasons, like Fulham have finished just outside the European places. He will more of a guarantee of European football and should Rodgers’ succeed Liverpool can give him that.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Liverpool FC hope to sign Nuri Sahin and Cristian Tello this week:

Nuri Sahin:
LIVERPOOL FC are hopeful of clinching the signings of Nuri Sahin and Cristian Tello this week as Brendan Rodgers' summer rebuild at Anfield gathers pace.

The duo will move to Merseyside on season-long loan deals, with manager Brendan Rodgers confident the signings can be clinched before the Liverpool FC open their Premier League campaign at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

The Reds believe they have fended off interest from both Tottenham and Arsenal to sign Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin. The Turkish international has been told he is free to leave the club by Real boss Jose Mourinho and, having spoken to ex-Reds star Xabi Alonso, has informed Rodgers of his desire to move to Merseyside.

Liverpool FC aim to complete the formalities over the next 48 hours, and could introduce the 23-year-old to his new team-mates this weekend.
The deal for Barcelona winger Cristian Tello should also go through shortly, with managing director Ian Ayre having flown to Spain to finalise negotiations.

The 21-year-old has been informed by new Barca boss Tito Vilanova that first-team opportunities will be limited this season.

He was officially listed as a 'B' team player when the Catalans announced their squad for the upcoming campaign.

Barcelona are likely to offer a new contract to the Spanish Olympic Games star, but they will be happy to assist the youngster's development by allowing him to move to Merseyside on loan for the season.

Liverpool FC believe Tello's pace, eye for goal and ability to play on either wing make him an ideal addition to a squad short on depth in wide areas.

Brendan Rodgers is eager to add depth to a squad that finished eighth last season, and has already signed both Fabio Borini and Joe Allen.

Rodgers said: “The reality is the club probably lacked depth last year. We need to make a few signings just to get back those numbers.

“I believe we will do. But they are specific targets we are after and I believe when we get those players in they will make a difference for us.

“Normally with good players, the transfer is complex. They are never easy. There’s no doubt we have work to do to. We need to improve the group and we need to get some players in. We need to do that sooner rather than later.”

The arrival of Nuri Sahin, another central midfield player, could prompt a reshuffle of Rodgers' squad. He has already signed Joe Allen to play in that area, and has Lucas Leiva and Steven Gerrard fit and available, with Jay Spearing in reserve.

Jonjo Shelvey started the Europa League second-leg win over FC Gomel last week, with Jordan Henderson having begun the first leg in Belarus.

The Daily Post understands that Liverpool FC could be prepared to listen to offers for Henderson, who cost £16m when he joined from Sunderland last summer, and for Charlie Adam, who is thought to be interesting Fulham.

Liverpool FC expect to tie Martin Skrtel down to a new long-term contract soon, and will press on with plans to commit Daniel Agger to a similar deal, even in light of interest from Manchester City.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Lucas Leiva glad to welcome Joe Allen to Liverpool FC:

LUCAS LEIVA is confident Liverpool can reap the benefits of their early European endeavours as he targeted a return to the Champions League.

Lucas was among the goalscorers as Brendan Rodgers’ side completed their pre-season programme with a 3-1 home friendly win against Bayer Leverkusen on Sunday.

While Liverpool begin their Premier League campaign on Saturday with a visit to West Bromwich Albion, they have already negotiated a two-legged Europa League tie against FC Gomel of Belarus.

And Lucas believes those matches could help give the Anfield outfit a flying start to the domestic campaign.

“It’s always important to play competitive games and we’ve had a chance to play two before the Premier League starts,” said the Brazilian. “That can give us a good momentum to start the season.

“It’s been a positive pre-season. If we play like we have done in the last few games, we’ll have a better chance of getting a good start.”

Liverpool finished outside the top four for the last three seasons and last played in the Champions League in 2009.

And although aware of the strength at the top of the Premier League, Lucas is cautiously eyeing a fight for a return to Europe’s elite club competition.

“It’s hard to say how it will go,” he added. “We’ve done well in pre-season but now will be the big test for us. We’ll have a better idea when the season goes on.

“Hopefully we can get a Champions League spot and that’s what we’re aiming for. It’ll be very hard, many clubs like City and Tottenham are doing well now.

“It’s not going to be as easy as a couple of years ago when maybe there was only four teams going for those top four places.

“We have a tough start to the season, especially at home, but we just have to make sure we go game by game.

On the £15m capture of Allen, the 25-year-old added: “He is one more player to fight for a place and that can only be good for the squad.

“We need more than 11 players to be successful. We can see he is a good player, hopefully he can be comfortable and be a key player for us this season.

“He had a good season last year and he had a great tournament at the Olympics too, so hopefully he will be ok with us.”

Liverpool have confirmed the dates for the Europa League play-off round with Hearts.

The first leg will take place at Tynecastle on Thursday, August 23 with a 7.45pm kick-off, with the return at Anfield on Thursday, August 30 with an 8.05pm kick-off.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Agger's Liverpool Commitment Would Only Be Tested by Barcelona:

"There is one club who would make it very difficult for me to stay at Anfield," according to Daniel Agger, whose frank discussions with the Danish press have given those in England plenty to talk about since he headed out on international duty. "Playing for Barcelona would be a huge accomplishment because they have the best team in the world. But I am feeling great where I am. I'm with a special club, and I feel I am influencing what happens on the pitch. I am happy to be a Liverpool player."

Some have taken to turning his words into a flashy "Agger Wants Barcelona Move" story, though of course the truth is far more pedestrian when one considers his statement as a whole. And the truth is that, as is usually the case when it comes to Daniel Agger, the player was simply being honest. It's something of an odd quality in a football player, but one that most Liverpool fans should be used to by now when it comes to the Danish defender.
Do Barcelona have the best team in the world? Most would say yes, and any player in England who said he wouldn't be tempted should the Catalans come knocking would be lying. That isn't revelatory, it's simple reality, and to pretend it represents a shocking development in the Agger story is irresponsible.

Just as important to Liverpool fans should be that after Agger acknowledges that yes, Barcelona are kind of good and that like most players he might be tempted by them, he gives a reaffirmation of the strong feelings he has towards his current club. Given Liverpool's struggles over the past few years, in fact, it would something of a minor miracle if the rest of the squad would only limit themselves to either staying put or heading to Barcelona—though of course, most are rather less likely than Agger to honestly discuss such things.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Carroll not affected by transfer talk – Liverpool’s Rodgers

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is of firm belief that Andy Carroll has not been affected by summer transfer speculation.

The striker has been linked with plenty of clubs this off-season, including former club Newcastle United as well as West Ham United, but Rodgers is adamant that all the transfer talk will not bother the England international.

"He's coped with the speculation fine,” said Rodgers.

"Unfortunately you cannot control what is written and the speculation out there, but he's coped well.

"We've spoke, our communication has been open and he's worked very hard on the training ground since he has been here and since I have been here. I haven't had a problem with him.

"He knows where he stands within the group. We will see how that develops."

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is hoping to close a loan deal for Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin in time for Saturday's trip to West Brom.

Sahin, 23, is available on a season's loan after struggling to establish himself at the Bernabeu. He has made only 10 appearances for the Spanish champions since arriving from Borussia Dortmund a year ago, and has been told he can move elsewhere in search of first-team football.

The Turkey international has been encouraged to move to Merseyside by his Real team-mate Xabi Alonso, who spent five years at Liverpool.

Arsenal also want the Germany-born midfielder, but it is understood that Liverpool are prepared to pay a larger proportion of his wages.

In addition, Jose Mourinho is reluctant to let Sahin go to another club in this season's Champions League, and so would rather Sahin went to Anfield.

Rodgers is also hopeful of completing a loan move for Barcelona winger Christian Tello, 21, with Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre flying to Spain to finalise negotiations.

Tello impressed at Camp Nou under Pep Guardiola last season, scoring seven times in 22 games. But Guardiola left at the end of the campaign, and his replacement Tito Vilanova has told Tello that his first-team chances will be limited this season.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Former Liverpool attacker Sinama-Pongolle keen to head back to England:

Sporting Lisbon’s Florent Sinama-Pongolle is looking to leave the club and return to England.

The 27-year old former Liverpool attacker has been loaned out by Sporting over the past two seasons – to Real Zaragoza and Saint-Etienne – and his agent says he now wants to head back to the UK.

"Florent is hoping to come back to England and Sporting are willing to let him go for free or on loan," Neil Sang told skysports.com.

"I am talking to a host of clubs about Florent and we will see what the best options open to Florent are."

Pongolle joined Liverpool in 2001 before departing for Recreativo in 2006 after struggling for regular first team football. During his time at Anfield he had loans with Le Havre and Blackburn Rovers and has also played for Atletico Madrid during his career.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm

West Brom boss Clarke: Liverpool will SACK Rodgers if top four not achieved:

West Bromwich Albion boss Steve Clarke reckons Brendan Rodgers will be SACKED if Liverpool fail to reach the top four.

Clarke says Rodgers faces the same fate as Kenny Dalglish next spring unless he steers them into the Champions League places.

Clarke insisted: “The owners have said top four is not imperative for the current season. I don’t believe that.

“A club like Liverpool have to be there challenging for the top four – I don’t think they can accept anything less.

“But we stabilised the club, got them in a good position, reached two cup finals and put together a decent squad.

“I spoke to Kenny towards the end of last season, when we didn’t envisage we would not be at Liverpool.

“We spoke about our prospects for this coming season and both Kenny and I had agreed top four was the realistic target for that squad. Kenny and I were pretty sure with the group of players we had, Liverpool will be in the top four this season."

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Liverpool boss Rodgers confident of two new signings:

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has confidence of two new signings this weekend.

While he would not be drawn on the identity of his targets, he is expecting news on two potential new arrivals very soon.

He said: “I am hopeful we can bring in one or two more to help the group here.

“I’ll find out later. We hope in the next couple of days we’ll have one or two coming in.

“Hopefully in the next 48 hours we will find out.”

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:54 pm

FSG Were Right Not To Consider AVB Over Rodgers:

UPON parting ways with club legend Kenny Dalglish, our owners, the Fenway Sports Group embarked on a long and arduous mission to recognise and hire Liverpool’s next manager.

They were in the market for a young manager with a modern approach to football, an exciting and clearly laid out tactical strategy who would be able to thrust Liverpool into the top four of the Premier League, and into the UEFA Champions League of Europe.

After two weeks of speculation & anticipation, with almost any and every manager linked to the job, FSG finally hired Brendan Rodgers, the then manager of Swansea City, to replace King Kenny.

Those strongest linked with the job were André Villas-Boas, the former Chelsea & Porto FC manager (and now new Tottenham Hotspurs manager), Roberto Martinez (the manager of Wigan Athletic), and Brendan Rodgers.

While Roberto Martinez had done a credible job at Wigan last season finishing 15th in the Premier League, and was well respected for his tactical style, I don’t think he would’ve been ideal for Liverpool. Most of the Liverpool fans were most excited about the link with André Villas-Boas. Even though his time at Chelsea had ended prematurely, and not in the best of terms, most people agreed that the time there was not a proper benchmark of how good a manager he was, and maintained that he was still one of the most talented young managers around.

It was Brendan Rodgers, however, that the owners of Liverpool trusted and eventually hired as the new manager of Liverpool FC. And although the Premier League season has just begun, I believe the appointment has been the correct one.

Rodgers & André Villas-Boas, or AVB for ease of use in headlines and articles, are both gifted and highly rated managers with a modern take on football. They have quite a few similarities between them when it comes to their style and tactics. While they follow different philosophies of playing, both of them like to employ a fluid 4-3-3 formation with an onus on passing and pressing the opposition.

I do believe that Rodgers’ style, which is based on fluid movement and keeping possession and recycling the ball is much more suited to the Liverpool way of playing; a team who were once regarded as the benchmark in implementing the pass and move philosophy – what we call ‘the Liverpool Way’.

AVB’s recognition comes from his time at the Primeira Liga in Portugal, where in his first full season as manager, he led Porto to a treble of the League, the Portuguese Cup, and the Europa League, going the entire season without losing a single home game. While that is a very impressive statistic for any new manager, the English league is an entirely different beast, as Villas-Boas found out himself last season. He only spent eight months at Chelsea as the manager tasked with injecting some youth into an ageing side, being let go when the team was on the verge of elimination from the Champions League and lying outside the top four in the Premier League.

Rodgers, in the same season, and the same league, was able to get his newly promoted Swansea side to play very attractive football, which was acknowledged everywhere, and finished the season a very respectable 11th, finishing just 5 points off of Liverpool.

While most people agree that AVB’s time at Chelsea was cut short due to him angering some senior players who forced him out, I still believe that not everything was down to politics. Even when Chelsea were losing, AVB showed an inability to work on the deficiencies in his system to get the best out of the players, and stuck to it. Also, instead of trying to work the system into one which would most benefit the Chelsea squad he had in his hand, he tried to force the system on to the players, leading to unhappy players, and less than desirable results.

Rodgers is also very highly respected by all the players who have been managed by him. Already, both of his signings since joining Liverpool, the Italian Fabio Borini and Welshman Joe Allen, have spent time under him, and have both said how he was a major factor in them joining Liverpool. He is known as an excellent man manager, and that is something that will come very handy, no matter which team you manage.

I don’t believe AVB is a manager under the same mould. He believes in a strict manager-player relationship, and isn’t shy to met out punishment to players who digress from his vision. This can lead to some serious friction in the camp, which no manager would like.

I do think that Villas-Boas is a talented manager and will succeed, but Liverpool wasn’t the club for him, nor he the manager for it. And when compared to Brendan Rodgers, the more I see and hear of Rodgers, the more I’m convinced that Liverpool made the right choice in hiring him.

Right from the first press conference, Rodgers has come across as someone who’s very confident & is passionate about football. The more you hear him speak, the more he comes off as someone who’s very knowledgeable about his football, and someone who believes in the system he is talking about. He gives you confidence the more you hear him speak about football. And for a club with support like Liverpool has, with our history and our passion and knowledge of the game, he is the right man to lead us into a new era. An era, which I can only hope, is a glorious one.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:58 pm

A New Approach:

Brendan Rodgers has been at the helm for just two meaningful games thus far so what better way to get started than to focus on his transfer policies and the failings of Liverpool in the transfer market in recent years.

I hope you enjoy my analysis but by all means feel free to comment and tell me off. Here goes nothing…..

Liverpool’s transfer policies this off season have been extremely different than in past seasons. Brendan Rogers has stated that the glamorous, big money deals are a thing of the past. Rogers also admits that John Henry and Fenway Sports Group are not willing to pump massive amounts of cash into transfers because most of the players brought in recently have been severely over-valued. Because of this Rogers is looking for steals and has stated he might want to tap into the loan market if he can find the right player: "I have also looked at one or two loan deals from abroad. There are some quality players in that market that I have enquired about." Rogers is taking a very different approach to the transfer market and I applaud him.

This new and frugal reign started with the signing of Fabio Borini from AS Roma. For 11 million pounds Liverpool signed a striker that Brendan Rogers had been involved with from his days at Chelsea and Swansea. Borini started 20 Serie A matches for Roma last season scoring nine goals. Yes, Borini is extremely unproven but for a player Brendan Rogers saw mature first-hand he is a worthwhile buy at 11 million pounds.

This serves as a sharp contrast to when Liverpool signed Andy Carroll from Newcastle for 35 million pounds. Let’s face it, Carroll was signed for all the wrong reasons. In January 2011 Liverpool were a mid-table team just coming off of the horrid Roy Hodgson era. The team was desperate to make a splash. They were desperate to win again. So they decided to shake it up. They sold Fernando Torres for 50 million pounds and instead of buying a group of players to change the culture at Anfield they bought an injured Andy Carroll who would not make his debut until that March.

Liverpool were hoping Carroll would develop into an experienced player who would eventually replace Fernando Torres. With a season and a half under his belt Carroll has not proven to be the man Liverpool thought they were buying. But how could he be? When Carroll was 21 he played very well in the Championship for Newcastle. During that 2009/2010 season Carroll started 33 games and scored 17 goals. A very good tally for a rising young player. However compared to Fernando Torres at that age Carroll’s numbers are laughable. At 20 years of age Fernando Torres started 35 games and scored 19 league goals for Atletico Madrid in La Liga. La Liga is the Spanish top flight. Carroll’s goals were in the English second division. The fact that anyone would think Carroll could replace Fernando Torres is simply ludicrous. Many argue Luis Suarez was brought in to replace El Nino during that same transfer market but at 35 million pounds if Carroll was not brought in to replace Torres what was he brought in for?

Back to the current season. It is great to see Brendan Rogers not vastly overpaying for players. Not signing Gylfi Sigurdsson because of wage demands and refusing to pay 15 million pounds for Clint Dempsey is extremely encouraging. With Rogers at the helm, Liverpool will not get swindled like they have time and time again in the past. Of course Rogers will miss on some transfers but by not paying ridiculous fees for players he can get away with it. Massive deals are fun and exciting but they do not guarantee wins. 20 million pound Stewart Downing and of course 35 million pound Andy Carroll aren’t the ones who win Liverpool games. In past seasons it’s been the 6 million pound Luis Garcias’, the 10 million pound Raul Meireles’, and the Craig Bellamys’ (Free transfer). These guys are the difference makers. Fabio Borini won’t put up Torres like numbers but hopefully he will work hard and score some crucial goals.

On that difference maker point, headlines today read that Liverpool are trying to sign two more, Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid and Tello from Barcelona. These deals almost make too much sense. These players are available on the cheap and come from top clubs. They fit the mold of a Brendan Rogers signing perfectly. Both can play in the 4-3-3 and are capable of playing possession football. Both are young. Both are technically gifted. Both possess a lot of flair. Now the question is why are they so cheap if they‘re as good as I‘m making them out to be? It’s simple, they’re quality players they just suffer from having way too many players in front of them. At massive clubs like Barcelona and Madrid that can happen.

Sahin impressed at Borussia Dortmund, so much so that Real paid 10 million euros for his services in the summer of 2011. Between injuries and other players stepping up Sahin did not see much of the field for Madrid. We cannot forget how instrumental Sahin was when Dortmund won the Bundesliga in 2010/2011. He could play in my Liverpool squad any day.

After shining for Barcelona B in the first half of last season Tello was called up for the second half of the season to the Barcelona senior squad. He played in the final El Clasico of the season and despite the 2-1 loss to Real Madrid he played well. He is still very young at 21 and has revealed he would not love to go abroad. It appears if Tello was going to sign it would be on a season long loan and if he decided he liked Liverpool and Rogers wanted him back he would be available for 7 million pounds. Any player who has come up through the famed Barcelona youth academy is a worthwhile addition. In the past Liverpool have missed on attackers (Ryan Babel, David Ngog, Stewart Downing). Why not take a chance?

Finally a signing I have yet to mention is the capture of Joe Allen. As much as I love the Borini deal and will love the Sahin and Tello deals (please God let them happen), the Allen deal makes little sense to me. I thought we already had our central midfielders of the future in Jonjo Shelvey and Jordan Henderson. We all know Charlie Adam doesn’t fit what Brendan Rogers wants to do in the midfield but before Allen was signed I would have loved to have seen either Shelvey or Henderson get a chance. If they didn’t work out Allen always could have been purchased in January. Rogers wanted a possessor and he got one but I thought the 15 million pounds paid for him was a tad too much. It’s still much too early to judge however, time will tell.

This new way of business certainly adds to the excitement of the new season. I know I sure am excited. Hopefully the boys will be able to pick-up a win at the Hawthorns. YNWA

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Walcott on verge of Liverpool switch:

England and Arsenal winger, Theo Walcott, could be ready to join the exodus from the Emirates and sign for Liverpool. Walcott, a lifelong Liverpool fan, has only a year left on his current contract and appears to have been unsettled by the departure of Robin van Persie. The 24 year old is also said to be unhappy at having to compete with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for his starting place and feels that the time could be right to move on.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is a long time admirer of Walcott and believes that his fast paced game is perfectly suited to the style of play that he hopes to bring to Anfield, Despite the short time left on Walcott's contract, Arsenal are unlikely to let another prized asset go cheaply and it remains to be seen whether Liverpool's American owners will sanction a £15 million bid for a player who they could have for free next summer.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 pm

West Brom v Liverpool odds as punters fancy Borini and Brendan Rogers to start with away win:

Liverpool get their Premier League campaign underway with a tough trip to West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns on Saturday afternoon, as Victor Chandler or Betvictor announce their new free bets offer and report plenty of support for the Reds at a big price of evens to come away with the three points.

Both of these sides have different ambitions for the season but are in similar positions as they each have a new boss at the helm of the club.

Looking at the home team to begin with, they begin life under Steve Clarke’s management. Clarke is renowned for being a top coach but some doubt whether he can do it as a manager.

West Brom (17/5) will know it could be a long season for them and their home form will be key to survival, a win here could be just what Clarke is wanting.

The Baggies will be happy with the business they have done this summer though, especially after securing the loan deal of Roman Lukaku from Chelsea.

The 19-year-old seems desperate to prove himself in the Premier League and will be relishing more first-team opportunities.

As for Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers is the new man in charge at Anfield and he will have genuine ambitions about reaching the top four this season.

This is certainly a massive test for Rodgers – who has never managed at such a big club.

The Reds will be hoping that Fabio Borini can have a good year in front of goal after his summer move from Roma.

If Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez also both stay fit throughout the campaign, it could be a great season for Liverpool.

Rodgers will first be targeting a victory in this opening encounter. It does not get much tougher for them in the Premier League after this as they go up against Manchester City and Arsenal.

With the demanding Europa League schedule they have, the Liverpool boss will need to manage his squad wisely.

It looks to be a great game and kick-off is at 3pm.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:10 pm

New manager Brendan Rodgers is out to carve his own slice of Liverpool history
A spirit of revolution accompanies every managerial shift at Anfield but, as Brendan Rodgers prepares for his first Premier League game in charge of Liverpool, the prevailing theme is one of restoration.

The process of repairing the damage after a prolonged period of deterioration intensified over the summer, from the underperforming team through to the club’s tainted image and their ageing arena. What will become ‘new Anfield’ has received its first lick of paint.

More than £1million was spent on upgrading the stadium’s interiors, while Liverpool City Council has just announced the demolition of 36 neighbouring houses, one of numerous obstacles to expansion removed.

If the Stanley Park blueprint has not already been ripped up, it is hovering suggestively near a shredder in owner John Henry’s office. The plush refurbishment extends to the corporate areas of the Centenary Stand with the newly christened ‘Shankly’ and ‘Paisley’ lounges.

“Looking to the future while also remembering our past,” said the accompanying promotion on Liverpool’s website.

It is always thus with English football, especially Liverpool. If you have a modern idea that might be perceived as a dangerous challenge to tradition, you have to camouflage it with a comforting image from history.
Rodgers has captured this synchronised philosophy with his capacity to speak a language the supporters find reassuringly familiar, while at the same time presenting the youthful, dynamic and forward-thinking front the owners have wanted for two years.

As well as the Anfield décor, Fenway Sports Group took steps to polish up how the club are projected, transforming their media operation. A behind-the-scenes documentary airs next month and a PR firm has been asked to present the board with a clearer definition of what Liverpool represent in the 21st century, warts and all, asking an assortment of journalists and fan groups for their views.

Bloggers, website editors and opinionated Liverpool fans with enough followers on Twitter to get them noticed are invited to press briefings, and will be granted an audience with Rodgers once a month, an acknowledgement of the changed media landscape. To some it is a risky Americanisation of the brand, to others the kind of perceptiveness that was once the club’s hallmark but was cast adrift in the complacency of global popularity.

The rethink may be a mixture of the classy and tacky (the introduction of a dozen attractive girls dressed in tight fitting red dresses to welcome media and VIPs on a matchday was clearly dreamed up by middle-aged men) but, at its heart, is a merciful realisation Liverpool Football Club have been in too much trouble of their own making for too long and have surrendered too much of the respect they once enjoyed from those with no emotional attachment to the place. The aim is to be more inclusive, less parochial and to impart greater wisdom from the top down.

Of course, all this will not mean a hoot if Liverpool do not perform where it matters. Pre-season has brought a surge of tolerance for calls to accept the financial and sporting reality that Liverpool have been the seventh, sixth and eighth best club in the country under three managers over the last three years. It has been an unstable and unfulfilling era.

There is no logical reason for anyone to confidently predict they will return to the Champions League at Rodgers’ first attempt, but the modern shelf life for sympathetic ears tolerating pleas for patience is usually a little over a month.

Rodgers is wise enough to know the encouraging performance and results need to start at the Hawthorns on Saturday to buy him the time he needs for a long overhaul.

It was telling that for Rodgers’ opening game at Anfield, against FC Gomel in the Europa League, supporters chanted an emotional farewell to Kenny Dalglish, while the latest appointment was barely acknowledged. A new manager must always deal with the substantial and debilitating weight of Liverpool’s past.

“As a club it is an iconic one, you can never take that away. History has to be remembered and respected and that’s what I will always do, but we have to create new memories, new history,” said Rodgers. “I will always respect the past and have as much knowledge as you can get, but we must use it to create our own.

“These are educated supporters, brilliant supporters, who I’m sure are wondering how it’s all going to work out. As a manager and a coach, you have to earn the respect. Everything in life over the last 20 years I have had to earn and gain that respect and, for me, here it’s no different. People have said to me about them not chanting my name yet, but it’s more important for them to be singing the names of the players. When they feel the time is right, whenever that is, they will, but I will never be offended by it if they don’t.”

Everyone at Anfield has been impressed by the eloquent cut of Rodgers’ jib. Tactically, he says he has a plan A and “if plan A doesn’t work, plan B is to make a change to make plan A more effective”.

The pass and move mantra he espouses is not radical for Liverpool. Again, it is about restoring existing values that were lost when Liverpool turned to successive defensive, counter-attacking managers and when Dalglish was unable to find the consistency or fully re-acclimatise to a football world very different to the one he had left.

There will be plenty of casualties along the way under Rodgers. The most headline grabbing will be those players unable to cope with a more technically efficient game - a hectic finale to the transfer window should not be ruled out.

If the greatest victim of Anfield’s summer of restoration is the butchering of an era in which the club’s over-inflated self-perception bore no resemblance to the mediocre reality, Liverpool will again become the club those who were at the forefront of their halcyon days would recognise.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Brendan Rodgers Aims To Defy The Odds:

Despite a miserable few years for Liverpool, Brendon Rodgers is confident the club can finish in the top four this season and return to Champions League football.

The former Swansea boss can’t wait to get going, but fully understand the pressure that the Liverpool job brings with it.

“I’ve said right from the off I want to make us as competitive as we can possibly be,” The Liverpool boss told Sky Sports.

“The challenge at the top of the table is greater than ever. Now there are seven or eight teams involved but the top four is certainly not something we’ll shy away from.

“It’s where a club of this status wants to be but it’s always easier said than done and the reality over the past three seasons or so hasn’t been that.

“Our job is to try to push on. There has been a lot of work done over the last few years to try to get the club back into the top echelons of the league so we are hoping to do that.”

“There has been a lot of change and a lot of work going on and of course every manager wants patience but the reality of football means that’s not the way it works,” he added.

“The challenges are great and the pressures at this level are great.

“There is a long way to go for us. We will be better next year than we are this year because there will have been more time to work with the players and they will have adapted more to my methods.

“But all we can do is retain our focus and concentration to improve how we play and, more importantly, to be effective.

“A system or style is not very good if you’re not winning games. You have to win matches.

“Your principles are based on the players you have and hopefully over the next number of years we will be able to bring in certain types which allow us to play a certain way.

“Until that moment comes the players are working tirelessly and relentlessly to improve their game and get results and at this early stage it is very promising for them.”

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:34 pm

WBA vs Liverpool: Preview, Team News, Likely Line-ups & Predicted Score:

New Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers takes charge of his first Premier League game as he takes on West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns on Saturday afternoon.

Rodgers made the move to Merseyside after doing an excellent job at Swansea City and will look to improve upon Liverpool’s disappointing eight place finish last term.

His opposite number in the dug out will be Steve Clarke who worked under Kenny Dalglish during his time at Anfield, and he will be looking to build upon the superb work of Roy Hodgson who guided WBA to a top-half finish last season before taking over as England boss in the summer.
Team News

Clarke will have to make do without the services of new signing Markus Rosenberg, while James Morrison and Jonas Olsson returned from international duty in midweek with knocks and will face late fitness tests ahead of the game.

Shane Long is available despite missing the Republic of Ireland’s match with Serbia on Wednesday but is likely to miss out to Romelu Lukaku, who is in line to make his first start up front after joining on loan from Chelsea. Fellow summer signing Claudio Jacub could also start.

New Liverpool signings Joe Allen and Fabio Borini are set to make their debuts. Italian striker Borini has impressed in pre-season and is pushing for a start and Allen is likely to start alongside Lucas Leiva, who returns after missing the last 5 months of last season with a knee injury.

Joe Cole has shaken off a hamstring injury and in contention for a place on the bench and he should be joined by Andy Carroll who appears to have fallen out-of-favour under Rodgers.
Predicted Score

Rodgers has got Liverpool playing some decent stuff in pre-season and with Leiva, Gerrard and Suarez all playing together in the same side for the first time in a long while, i think the Reds will just sneak this one. But not by much. WBA 1-2 Liverpool.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Fulham finally admit that it will be impossible for them to keep a hold of Liverpool target Clint Dempsey

Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed that midfielder Clint Dempsey is not committed to the side and won’t take any part for Fulham in the coming season.

The 29-year-old American thought that his deal with Liverpool is almost sealed, but there was no formal offer tabled for him. Likewise, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers expressed his interest for the midfielder who scored 23 goals last season, but the deal never materialized.

“He is not committed to the club. He wants to leave. I would like to keep him, but I think it’s impossible. It’s a sad and an almost embarrassing situation, “said Martin Jol while speaking to the reporters.

When asked about Dempsey’s chances of joining Liverpool, he said “Clint himself told everyone he was going to Liverpool before he came back so we really thought there was quite a firm interest in him.”

“Even [Rodgers] told everyone he was interested in Clint Dempsey, but our people never had an offer on the table so it’s almost embarrassing.”

The former Ajax manager has assured that his player won’t available for cheap. West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is looking to add one marquee name to the side and the Hammers are monitoring his situations closely.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Ramirez Transfer Takes An Unpleasant Twist:

Hilarious is the only word to describe the Gaston Ramirez fiasco. Over the last few days, the Uruguayan midfielder has revelled in informing the press of how rich he is set to become as a Southampton player. Yet according to his current club Bologna, a deal is yet to be done.

Having been asked about a potential move to the south coast, Ramirez replied as if the transfer had been signed, sealed and he have been unveiled as a Saints player. With so many memorable quotes from the midfielder’s response, perhaps the most indicative of his desires was ‘they will give me so much money’, according to an article by liverpool-kop.com.

The Uruguayan went on to state that only the finer details where being arranged in the deal, with outlines already agreed between the clubs and between himself and Southampton. Yet this is far from the truth, as pointed out by Bologna president Albano Guaraldi having heard Ramirez’ comments who stressed that the Italians had yet to accept a bid.

With questions of loyalty surrounding Robin van Persie’s move to Manchester United, said issue is only going to be raked on again when discussing Ramirez and his actions. The Uruguayan has highlighted the somewhat ugly, business side of the game and how money really can affect a person’s loyalty in life.

Yet there are two sides to this argument. On the one hand, many would condemn him for his statements, considering club loyalty to be far above any riches in life. However we also forget that football is a way to earn a living – if there is no emotional attachment particularly to a club then surely moving for more money is just a logical option. Ramirez was developed in the Uruguayan Premier League before moving to Italy in 2010 – perhaps he simply saw Bologna as a stepping stone to a bigger and brighter future.

&In short, although Ramirez’ values may be judged by others the fact is we are in no place to pass judgement. However when it comes to the manner in which he expressed them, then we can. This shows a severe lack of maturity and professionalism in dealing with a proposed transfer, something which will certainly dampen his image.

At the moment, Ramirez’ Southampton move has been put on hold, with both clubs still in negotiations over the player. Should the move fall through, then the Uruguayan’s words could come back to bite him and hard. Other clubs may be incredibly reluctant to hedge their bets on a player that has expressed such financial greed and self-obsession when considering a transfer.

Yet in all honesty, despite Ramirez’ words being inappropriate, the midfielder’s shouldn’t be held against him. He is simply saying something that many footballers before him, and many after, are thinking.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Arsenal boss Wenger pushing to trump Liverpool for Sahin:

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger remains confident of signing Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin.

He would arrive as a replacement for Barcelona target Alex Song.

The Daily Mail says Arsenal are confident that Champions League football will persuade the Real Madrid midfielder to join them ahead of Liverpool.

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by feco1love Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Allen hopes to add passing game to Liverpool midfield:

New signing Joe Allen hopes to add his passing game to the Liverpool midfield this season.

Allen’s pass completion rate of 91 per cent was better than one of Barcelona’s fabled conductors, Andres Iniesta. No Liverpool midfielder managed better than 86 per cent in the same time.

"You can read stats how you like," said Allen to the Daily Mail. "It’s great personally to hear those things; to be associated with those players is a dream. Xavi and Iniesta are two players I admire massively. They really inspired me to play a similar sort of football.

"If you think I’m small now you should have seen me when I made my debut (as a 16-year-old against Blackpool), you would be surprised. I was even slimmer and smaller then. When I was younger coming through it was a big issue for some people.

"I was always confident there were other aspects of my game that were better off because of my size. But there were a few doubters. I’ve been lucky every manager I’ve played under at Swansea has been someone who has played the style of football that suits me down to the ground."

feco1love
WPF Leader
WPF Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next